January 15, 2009

Sylvan Lake - South Dakota



I traveled to South Dakota for a history conference held in Hotsprings with my mother. Prior to the conference we drove around the area taking in sites that were significant to my family. This is the location that my grandparents were married. I took this photograph January 9, 2009 with my Nikon D300. The lake was entirely frozen and had a 1-2" layer of snow on top. The air temperature was a brisk 10 F. What a stunning and extraordinary area. If I had been better prepared for the weather I could have spent some time hiking around the area. Other than the ranger we were the only visitors up there. It did however cost me one Nikon 70mm-300mm telephoto lens - temperature was too extreme, internal mechanism froze, seals failed....long story short - I bought a newer and faster lens :)

No comments: