September 03, 2012

Spider Meadow - Nighttime Photograph



So this is my first star shot using my new Nikon D800 camera.  The lens I chose is an inexpensive Tamron 28-200mm telephoto that I take on backpacking trips.   Although it is not as fast as my Nikon f2.8, it is significantly lighter - a necessity on a trip like this.    The focal length was set at 28mm, f/5.6 and exposed for 30 seconds at ISO 1600.   I used a rock to set my camera on as I didn't backpack with a tripod this time.   The noise level for this camera is amazing - very difficult to distinguish compared to my D300 which would have been extremely grainy above ISO 1200.

The moon had not yet crested the peaks, but its' light illuminated the land scape nicely.   Next time I'll bring a tripod and my shutter release so that I can take some longer timed exposures.  

No comments: