December 19, 2010

Crystal - Skiing

I went with the family to Crystal Ski Resort, which first opened in 1962, is located on the Northeast corner of Mt. Rainier National park. Naturally I took my camera up the slopes and was treated to a group of students practicing slalom off of one of the lifts. I was able to ski close to the last couple of gates and photograph them. I used an SB-600 speed light and 70-200mm f2.8 lens - no tripod. This was the first time I've used a speed light while photographing skiers.   Although I like the results, I'm not totally sold on this technique - more gear than I'm used to packing up the slopes.  I think with the right f-stop and shutter speed along with having the sun at your back - I can get the same if not better photographs - 20/20 hind sight and I would have taken a few without flash - it was cold.   Perhaps if I had two more speed lights, a 4-square might do the trick. 



No comments: