December 28, 2010

Night-time Tractor


I received a new book for Christmas - Strobist Photo Trade Secrets Volume 1: Expert Lighting Techniques.  This is really not so much a book as a collection of note cards explaining the lighting of specific photographs - a great reference tool to have.   My dad has a 1940's vintage D2 catepillar which was sitting on top of the hill above their house, so with new book in hand, thought I would apply the lighting technique that I found.   Unfortunately it was raining and in the distance the city lights lit up the clouds.   Only a few stars are peaking out from behind the cloud cover.   I took this photograph at ISO200, f5.6 with a four minute exposure.   I fired my Nikon SB-600 from various angles around and behind the tractor about ten times.   Next time, I'd have my dad move it so that I could control both the foreground and background content and where I'd also be able to photograph from a lower angle.  That is my father's truck on the right and some garden equipment on the left.   The power lines do make for a dramatic background.

No comments: