October 17, 2011

Mount St. Helens - 1980


I was fourteen years old, camping about 30 miles south of Mount St. Helens the day it erupted in May 18, 1981.     The Silver Star district camporee in Columbia Pacific Council (now Cascade Pacific Council), was winding down so my father took me up to Larch Mountain to view the eruption.   It was amazing how much ash was in the air, although at that time the ash had yet to hit us.   That would come the next day as our home became blanketed in it.    It is too bad I didn't think to take a photograph of Mount Hood for contrast so that you can see how the ash masked the details of the mountain.   Armed with a Leica flex and 55 mm lens, I took this photograph.    Unfortunately the negatives have been lost to time.   At fourteen, I wasn't as organized with my negatives and photographs as I am now, although some negatives have survived from those days, not the ones I find important today.   I scanned this photograph on a Microtek scanner and despite by thorough cleaning of the glass plate, dust was still visible in the scanned result.   So, with a little clean-up, here is the scanned result.

No comments: